Examples of Professional Development Activities
In addition to regular peer supervision sessions with psychology, paediatric and psychiatry colleagues, self-initiated reading of recent clinically relevant literature and monitoring of national and international electronic neuropsychology list serves; Dr Pestell regularly attends a range of professional development training seminars, workshops, courses and conferences. She is also involved in the training and supervision of trainee psychologists, as well as psychology colleagues with Clinical, Neuropsychology or Educational/Developmental endorsement. The following list is not exhaustive and provides an example only of completed professional development activities.
- 2019 APS College of Clinical Neuropsychologists Conference, Barossa Valley South Australia 7 - 9 November 2019
- APS College of Educational & Developmental Psychologists Conference. Hobart, Tasmania, 21-22 March 2019.
- Australian Conference for Neurodevelopmental Disorders. Launceston Conference Centre, Sept 19-21 2019
- UWA Poche Centre for Indigenous Health and the UWA School of Psychological Science: Research Pathways. Perth, 20 November 2018.
- 2nd Australasian FASD Conference: "Our Science our Stories". Perth, 21-22 November 2018.
- Sins of the Past. Reflections & Future Directions. 38th Australian and New Zealand Association of Psychiatry, Psychology and Law Annual Congress. 23-24 November 2018, Hobart.
- APS College of Clinical Neuropsychologists Conference, 8-10 November 2018, Brisbane.
- Masterclass: The Psychology of Dehumanization. Prof Nick Haslam| Thursday 25 October 2018,
University of WA Institute of Advanced Studies
- Neuropsychologically informed therapy and intervention: Research based principles and diagnostic formulation with clinical exemplars from neurology, mental health and forensic agencies. A/Prof Warrick Brewer (Neuropsychologist), 25 Sept 2018, Perth Children's Hospital.
- Dr Ira J. Chasnoff. FASD
diagnosic dilemma: How do you diagnose within the fetal alcohol spectrum? (Webinar, 12/4/18)
- Tim White & Nakke Le Roux - Medico-Legal Seminar. Leading the
Way on the Road to Recovery. Tindall Gask Bentley Lawyers. Floreat, Perth, 20 February 2018.
- ANZAPPL Annual Congress. Psychiatry, Psychology and Law in a Changing World. Perth Convention Centre. Perth, Nov 23, 2017.
- Supervision Masterclass Day Workshop (Nicola Gates). Clinical Supervision Services. Perth, 8 November 2017.
- 22nd Annual College of Clinical Neuropsychologists Conference. Demonstrating Value. Perth, 9-11 November 2017.
- Connecting Community Expo (Carers Australia WA), Broome, 16 Oct 2017.
- ASSBI/Shine Lawyers Medico-legal Workshop. Perth, 12 October 2017.
- FASD and the Law: Day Seminar. Vancouver BC, Feb 28,2017.
- 7th International Conference on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD), Vancouver Canada, March 1-4 2017.
- An Introduction to the Universal Nonverbal Intelligence Test Second Edition (UNIT-2), Dr Bruce Bracken & Dr Steve McCllum (UNIT-2 authors) Webinar 4 November 2016.
- Western Australian Autism Diagnosticians' Forum (WAADF), Fremantle, 17th October 2016.
- 4th European Conference on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD), London, UK, 12-14th September 2016.
- How to do family therapy for childhood conduct problems really really well - A process model - Prof Mark Dadds (Clinical Psychologist, University of Sydney).24 June 2016.
- 8th World Congress of Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies. Advances and innovations in the behavioural and cognitive therapies across the world. Melbourne, 22-25 June 2016.
- Building a Collaborative Circle of Care in FASD- Carolyn Hartness (Healthway Visiting Fellow). Telethon Kids Institute, 16 June 2016.
- The relationship between Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disordres and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Dr G. Messer (Medical Director), Children's Research Triangle, Chicago, United States. NOFAS Webinar Series, 8 June 2016.
- 21st Annual Conference APS College of Clinical Neuropsychologists. "Workshops by the Waves. 19-21 November 2015, Shoal Bay, Port Stephens NSW.
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injury in Sports, Daily Life, and Military Service (Prof Grant Iverson, Harvard Medical School). 21st Annual Conference APS College of Clinical Neuropsychologists. 19 November 2015, Shoal Bay, Port Stephens NSW.
- The Neuropsychological Impact of Sedatives and Hypnotics (Professor Simon Crowe).21st Annual Conference APS College of Clinical Neuropsychologists. 20 November 2015, Shoal Bay, Port Stephens NSW.
- National University Psychology Clinic Directors Meeting. 16 November, 2015, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania.
- A Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) approach to working with shame and self-criticism in complex trauma" (Dr Chris Irons, Clinical Psychologist, UK). 2 Day Training Workshop, 14-15 November 2015, Hobart, Tasmania.
- Reliable Change - Principles and Practice (Dr Anton Hinton-Bayre, arranged by College of Clinical Neuropsychologists- WA Section). 20th October 2015, University of WA.
- 50th Australian Psychological Society Annual Conference. Celebrating the past, looking toward the future. 29 September to 2 October 2015, Gold Coast.
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: Sharing Solutions. Institute of Advanced Studies University of WA. (Keynote Dr Julianne Conry, The Asante Centre, Vancouver, Screening for FASD in the youth justice system). 13 August 2015, University of WA, Perth.
- Webinar Seminar Supporting the Wellbeing of People Experiencing a Trauma Response (ASCA & Mental Health Professionals Network). 2nd June 2015.
- Psychologists working with older adults: Going beyond assessment. Professor Nancy Pachana (Clinical Neurosychologist). 14 April 2015, Perth.
- Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) Clinicians Forum. 16 June 2015, University of WA.
- Overcoming trauma. Dr Janina Fisher (Clinical Psychologist). 6th & 7th November 2014, Melbourne.
- Metacognitive Therapy for Major Depressive Disorder. Dr Costas Papageorgiou (Clinical Psychologist). One Day Workshop. Australian Association for Cognitive and Behaviour Therapy. 26 October 2014, Fremantle, WA.
- Webinar "Acquiring, Using and Managing Client Information: An Ethical Perspective " Prof Alfred Allan. 2nd September 2014.
- Strategies within empirically-based treatments for anxiety in children and adolescents. Professor Philip Kendall. One Day Workshop. 8th August 2014, Nedlands, WA.
- Foundations of University
Teaching and Learning Course (completed).
the Advancement of Teaching and Learning (CATL), UWA.
(Sem. 1 2014)
- Supervision Induction
UWA. (March 2014)
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Chronic Pain. Professor Louise Sharpe. Australian Association for Cognitive and Behaviour Therapy. One Day Workshop. 31 July 2014, Nedlands, WA.
- Encephalitis- consequences and top tips for neuropsychology. Dr Ava Easton (CEO, Encephalitis Society UK). College of Clinical Neuropsychologists (APS, WA Section). May 13 2014, University of WA, Perth.
- Social outcomes in acquired brain injuries of childhood: from brain to behaviour. Professor Keith Yeates (Ohio State University, USA). Half day workshop. 8th May 2014, Fremantle, WA.
- Harnessing neural plasticity to enhance functional outcome after brain injury. Assoc Professor Jeffrey Kleim (Arizona State University, USA). Half day workshop. 8th May 2014, Fremantle, WA.
- 37th Annual Brain Impairment Conference. Beyond the hospital door: The longer term challenges of acquired brain injury. (Australasian Society for the Study of Brain Impairment). 8-10th May 2014, Fremantle, WA.
- Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals® - Fourth Edition(CELF® - 4) Pearson Accreditation Workshop. Angela Kinsella-Ritter (Consultant Speech Pathologist -Pearson Clinical and Talent Assessment). University of WA, 21 March 2014.
- Attachment, Attachment Disorders and Trauma: Diagnostics, Treatment and Prevention in Children, Adolescents and Caregivers. Dr Karl Brisch (Psychiatrist). 2 Day Training Course. Sydney, 13-14 March 2014.
- Aboriginal Cultural Awareness Training (NMHS-MH). Perth, 18 February 2014.
- Suicide Prevention Training Course. (Australian Psychological Society). October 2013.
- 19th Australian Psychological Society Clinical Neuropsychology Conference. 3-6 October 2013, Brisbane, Queensland.
- Court report writing and appearing in court. Professor Stephen Woods and Kerrie Wilson. Perth, 16/8/13.
- How to be an effective Capacity Coach. Workshop to Workplace session. Exemplary Leadership Course (Lift Performance Solutions) NMAHS. Perth, 12/8/13.
- Brain-Behaviour Relationships - Neurological deficits and psychological therapy. Mr Peter Clissa (Clinical Psychologist). Australian Psychological Society College of Clinical Psychologists. University of WA, 12 June 2013.
- The Leiter-R: Workshop by Bradley Calamel (School Psychologist). Neurosciences Unit, Mt Claremont. 16 May 2013..
- Social cognition and the developing adolescent brain: What happens when things go wrong? by Dr. Lyn S. Turkstra.THE AUSTRALASIAN SOCIETY FOR THE STUDY OF BRAIN IMPAIRMENT: Continuing Education Program - 4 May 2013.
- Australian Psychological Society Forensic Psychology Conference. The Times are a Changin’; Controversies, Competencies & DSM-V. The Esplanade Hotel, Fremantle, WA. 18-20 April 2013.
- Cradle to the Grave: Contemporary Neuropsychological Issues in Mental Health.Department of Health Clinical Psychology Professional Development Day. Mt Claremont. 22 March 2013
- Geoff Fitzgerald: Agency in relationships: the concurrent development of the individual and their attachment relationships. World Congress for Psychotherapy, Sydney Australia [on-line presentation, 2 March 2013].
- Brian O'Neil: The Use of the Group in Training Therapists: A Holographic Perspective. Institute of Group Leaders Conference (Moments of change in group work) in Sydney, Australia [on-line presentation, 2 March 2013].
- "Neuropsychology in Action". 18th Australian Psychological Society (APS) College of Clinical Neuropsychologists Conference. Tasmania, 22-25 November 2012.
- Tad Gorske Workshop: Collaborative Therapeutic Neuropsychological Assessment. Tasmania, 22 November 2012.
- Tad Gorske Workshop: Motivational Interviewing in Neuropsychology Basic Principles and Methods. Tasmania, 23 November 2012.
- Social and psychological long term outcomes after childhood traumatic brain injury: Symposium (Chair: Pof Vicki Anderson). Tasmania, 24 November 2012.
- Neuroimaging for Neuropsychologists (Dr G. Mackie). Tasmania, 24 November 2012.
- "I don't know and I can't remember. I was never there!" Civil and Criminal Aspects of Dissociation. Faculty of Forensic Psychiatry l The Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Psychiatrists 2O12 Conference. Hong Kong. 4-7 September, 2012.
- Childhood Trauma. A Neuroscience Approach to Healing & Recovery. Dr Bruce Perry. Perth, August 2012.
- Self-regulation in Autism. Dr Stuart Shanker (Research Professor York University, Canada) - 2012 Thinker in Residence Programme (WA Commissioner for Children & Young People). Subiaco. 7 June 2012
- International Symposia. 3rd UK Paediatric Neuropsychology Symposium: Early Brain-Behaviour Relationships & Prognostic Indicators. Institute of Child Health, London, UK. Baby Brains Around the World Project: An International Online Conference.23- 27 April 2012
- McCloskey, G. (Neuropsychologist - Philadelphia, US). Assessment & Intervention for Executive Function Difficulties. School Neuropsychology on-line Workshop. 15 April 2012.
- NAN Neuropsychology of Epilepsy and Epilepsy Surgery Course (National Academy of Neuropsychology: Approved by the American Psychological Association) Dr Gregory Lee (Professor of Neurology at Georgia Health Sciences University). Sep-Dec 2011.
- Unity in Diversity: The 2nd Conference of the WA State Committee of the Australian Psychological Society. Fremantle, WA. 7 November 2011.
- 17th Annual Conference of Clinical Neuropsychologists Conference. The Challenges of Evidence-Based Neuropsychology. The Australian Psychological Society Ltd. Sydney, NSW. 2-5 November 2011·
- “Evidence of Bias in Expert Opinion…What Lies Beneath? Seminar presented by Jeanette Steward & Peter Rawling (Clinical Neuropsychologists). The Australian Psychological Society Ltd. Sydney, NSW. 4 November 2011.
- Practice in child neuropsychology: What has child brain injury research taught us? Workshop presented by Professor Vicki Anderson (Neuropsychologist). Sydney, NSW. 3 November 2011.
- Understanding Early Trauma. The developmental implications of child abuse and neglect. Prof Louise Newman (Monash University) Floreat. 8 July 2011.
- Growing up Solid Conference. Integrating emotional and mental health throughout infancy, childhood and adolescence. The Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Psychiatrists & Australian Association for Infant Mental Health. Perth, WA. 14 May 2011.
- Trauma Across the Lifespan. Australian Association for Infant Mental Health. Perth, WA. 1-2 March 2011.
- Workshop: Approaches to Preventing Intergenerational Repetition of Disrupted Parenting in high risk populations. Presented by Dr Sarah Landy (Clinical Psychologist). Perth, WA. 1 March 2011.
- Young Children in Brief Separation. Australian Association for Infant Mental Health Inc (WA Branch). Subiaco, WA. 16 February 2011.
- Unity in Diversity: The Inaugural Conference of the WA State Committee of the Australian Psychological Society (APS). Fremantle, WA. 8 November 2010.· (Member of Organising Committee)
- Cool Kids Trial. Neuropsychology Certification Course. November 2010.
- Developmental Language Disorders Workshop (Tim Hannan, Neuropsychologist). Fremantle, 1 October 2010.
- 16th Annual Conference of the Australian Psychological Society (APS) College of Clinical Neuropsychologists. Fremantle, WA. September 2010.·(Member of Organising Committee)
- Child based intervention for Acquired Brain Injury: translating evidence into practice (Workshop) Professor Vicki Anderson. Fremantle, 30/9/10.
- International Congress Applied Psychology Symposium. Melbourne, VIC. 16th July 2010.·
- “So you think it might be ADHD, a learning disability, an intellectual impairment, a speech delay?” APS Seminar presented by Terry Washbourne. Floreat, WA. February 25, 2010.
- Person Brain (TM) Model Training. NeuroRelational Retraining for Children and Youth. 2 Day Seminar. Paul W. Baker, Ph.D Neuropsychologist. Mount Lawley, WA. March, 2010.
- Tips for being an expert witness. Judith Fordham (Barrister). Nedlands, WA. 4th August 2010.
- 15th Annual Conference of the APS College of Clinical Neuropsychologists. Melbourne, VIC. November, 2009·
- The basics of writing a good court report: Prof Alfred Allan and Dr Greg Dear (Forensic Psychologists). Floreat, WA. 10 November 2009.
- School Psychologists Association 21st Annual Conference. University of WA. Perth, WA. 24 September 2009.
- The neurobiology of childhood trauma and attachment - One day seminar with Dr Allan Shore (Neuropsychologist). Perth, WA. 27 March 2009.
- Impact of early trauma on learning and development. Tania Bianco (Educational and Developmental Psychologist). College of Clinical Psychologists and College of Educational and Developmental Psychologists. Swanbourne, WA. 22 June 2009.
- Aboriginal Cultural Awareness Training. One Day Workshop. Statewide Aboriginal Mental Health Service. Mt Claremont, WA. November, 2008.
- Mind Matters: Ethical approaches and clinical applications throughout the lifespan. One day Health Department Psychology Conference. Nedlands, WA. 15 February 2008.
- NAN Clinical Neuroanatomy Course (National Academy of Neuropsychology: Approved by the American Psychological Association) Dr Gregory Lee (Professor of Neurology at Georgia Health Sciences University). Sep-Dec 2007
- Working with Older Adults who have complex mental health problems. (One day workshop). North Metropolitan Area Mental Health Service. 5th October 2007.